Before we get going on the next hoodie in the series, a few more photos of the muslin.
All said and done, the most visible issue in the final product is the stripes not registering properly on the seam between yoke and front panel.
Some blue stripe found its way into the red despite my best attempts to align the pattern pieces so the blue bit would fall into the seam allowance.
I’ll have more to say on this issue in my next blog post.
I serged most of the seams, except for those incorporating pockets. I used my Brother 2340CV coverstitch machine to finish the hood and bottom hem. I also coverstitched over the serged seam running down the center of the hood, shown here.
The coverstitch finishes turned out beautifully.
The cuffs were pre-made, Dritz brand knit cuffs I purchased at the fabric store. I attached them by trimming the excess off the knit cuff, quarter-marking them, pinning to the sleeve, then serging.
The first cuff went on a little lopsided, partly due to the difficulty of steering the cuff into the serger “in the round”.
Then I hit upon the idea of marking a guide line, so I could just run the guideline right into the serger blades. This worked well and the second cuff went on nicely.
Finally, I made makeshift aglets for the drawcords using packing tape. They didn’t stay taped together and so I had to use some Scotch “invisible tape” to tape down the packing tape.
I bought a batch of heat-shrink tubing from Amazon to try making more durable aglets. I might also just give up and go out looking for some long shoelaces to use for drawcords.
Another hoodie. With welt pockets! It could turn out sharp, or it could be a total disaster. Stay tuned!